The construction began in August 1924, and in the spring of 1925, A.J. Carlson opened the Columbia Café in the building. On May 26, 1925, a formal opening of the Barton Inn Hotel was held. In 1927, the building which is owned by the Embassy Investment Company of Portland was remodeled. A ground floor lobby was created, twenty rooms added and an elevator installed. In November of 1928 the Barton Inn Hotel name was changed to the Commodore Hotel. The hotel continued to operate under this name until its closure in 1965.
In the summer of 2007 Paul Caruana and 2 business partners purchased the building and announced plans to reopen the Commodore Hotel. www.commodoreastoria.com Caruana Inc performed the fifteen month renovation which included the addition of an elevator, a new roof, skylights, complete window restoration and all new interior. All of the historic moldings and wood flooring were salvaged and restored. In 2009 a clothing boutique was added to the street level. In 2010 a coffee shop was added to the lobby.